Domaine du Murinais
- Livingstone-Learmonth: “A Domaine to follow, Luc Tardy shows the promising approach of a thinking man”. Bettane & Desseauve: “Good value”.
- Northern Rhône, France
- Owner / Winemaker:
- Luc Tardy
- Size, Total Production:
- 14 ha, 80,000 bottles
- Continental with Mistral wind
- Gravel with limestone and clay, much stony topsoil
- Syrah 12.8 ha, Marsanne 0.5 ha, Roussanne 0.7 ha
- Organic Status:
- This Domaine was created as recently as 1998 when Luc Tardy, then in his 20s, left the local cooperative to start to produce his own wines. But there is much history. His family have farmed vineyards here for many years and the cellars are located in the old stables of a beautiful 18th century house where Tardy’s family have lived for 3 centuries!
The Domaine is located near Beaumont-Monteux on the low rolling hills and plain south of Hermitage towards Pont de I’Isere. This is perhaps the most classic of several different terroirs in Crozes where the best wines show crisp, smokey, vivid black fruit flavours spiced with white pepper and are uncluttered by overt or muscular structure. Murinais’s wines are a reference point in this style.
The vineyard is flat or gently sloping. Luc Tardy works the vines organically and adapts his work with each season’s weather to achieve optimum ripeness for his style of wine. Equally in the cellar, he works with as minimal intervention as possible and is always very careful how he should vinify according to the conditions of the season. Thus in 2003, he hired a machine harvester to pick quicky in the middle of the night when the fruit was cool; and in 2008 chose to assemble his old vines with the young vines and extracted even more gently than normal to make only one ripe and juicy cuvee.
As a result he makes some of the most transparent, vivid and refined wines of the Appellation.
No wines were found